Monday, May 19, 2008

To Start

I'm starting with a raised garden bed that is already in place. It measures about 2'10" x 24'. We weeded and dug up the dirt before I decided I am not going to use that dirt. Instead I am going to cover the dirt with landscaping fabric, put a 6" tall wood border around the edge, and fill it with "Mel's Mix" (1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss) to start out with the perfect gardening soil. Then I will lay out a square foot grid so I can easily plan and plant my garden. I have already put together a rough draft of what I want to plant and where, but it is subject to change. There are some strawberry plants already growing in one corner of the garden that I hope to transplant into the new soil without killing them.

Hubby picked up some old plywood I got off freecycle and is going to borrow a saw to cut it into the 6" boards I need to frame in the bed. Hopefully he can get that done tomorrow so I can get the rest of the things I need (landscape fabric and "Mel's Mix" stuff and seeds/plants) and get it all ready this week. I would like to get everything going this week because we are supposed to have some rain storms and I think it would be helpful to the plants to start out with a nice warm rain. If not, I really want to plant no later than next week because I'm already planting a bit later than is best.

No comments: